Name: Chelsea Wolfe
Socials: @chelseawolfebmx on everything
Hometown: Lake Park, Florida USA
Sponsors: GT Bikes, USA Cycling, SCg Shoes, Handlebar Mustache Apparel, Xpand Laces, and I also get help from Profile Racing, Fuse Protection, Odyssey BMX, and Alpine Stars.
What is your BMX origin story – How did you get into BMX? In typical Floridian fashion, it has to do with hurricanes. My family and I were driving to a hardware store to prepare for an incoming hurricane and we passed by the Okeeheelee BMX track. We were always very active so that got our interest enough to turn around and ask some questions. A few weeks later my older brother and I started riding, with my parents and sister following soon after. I got into freestyle when all my racing friends got into it and it turned out to be life-changing.
What languages do you speak? English, some Spanish, and a handful of sayings in Japanese, Chinese, Hungarian, and French. Enough to get me around town when I visit.
Your top three parks:
- Riverside skatepark, Florida
- Orlando Skatepark, Florida
- Chula Vista Elite Athlete Training Center Freestyle Park, California
Top three songs to get you pumped
- WWIII by Ruff Ryders
- Radar Love by Golden Earring
- Without Me by Eminem
Three people who inspire you and why:
- Charlotte Worthington – Watching her progression in the past few years has been incredible and makes me feel like I can achieve great things by pushing myself.
- Kevin Peraza – He’s always smiling and genuinely having a good time. And his riding is unreal. So much style and wild combos. And even with always being a top contender at any contest he’s always having fun and seems to get along with everyone.
- Anyone who does their own thing and shares with the world their most authentic self no matter how hard it may be.
What is a trend in BMX you want to stop seeing? Transphobia and tolerance of it. We’re supposed to be a progressive counterculture sport that leads the way but instead, transphobic views are popular within the community and not many people stand up to those who are guilty of it.
How do you spend your days off your bike? If I’m not absolutely exhausted and resting all day I usually play with remote control trucks, go off-roading with my real Jeep, or spend time crafting or tinkering on things.
Favourite person to ride with? Robert Vargas. He is the number one hype man and always sending it. It’s impossible to ride with him and not have fun and progress.
Favourite shoes to ride in? SCg Sounds
Most inspirational quote: “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.”
Best advice given: “You’re just as likely to get worked just cruising so you might as well send it. This applies both in riding and in life.”
Your biggest fear? Not being able to chase my dreams.
Your proudest accomplishment? Being my full self and sharing that with the world no matter what anyone says or does about it and knowing that I’ve helped inspire others to do the same. That or being the alternate for Team USA at the Tokyo Olympics, that was pretty neat too.
Three guilty pleasures:
- Making fascists sad
Your worst habit? Not believing in myself.
If you could hire someone to help you in some sort of aspect of your life, what would it be? Oh my gosh, absolutely just an assistant to help me keep up on adulting. Making appointments, remembering tasks and deadlines, and just generally handling all the tedious paperwork.
Your top three future goals you want to achieve:
- I’d love to compete in the Olympics, winning would be pretty nifty too.
- I’d like to start making the podium at World Cups and World Championships. And of course, winning would also be nice.
- Keep creating a life where I’m safe, happy and fulfilled.