Name: Charlotte Worthington
Hometown: Manchester, UK
Sponsors: Adidas, Hyper & Snafu BMX
What is your BMX origin story – How did you get into BMX? My brother was into skateboarding and I was always sporty and loved anything with wheels. One day, I went to a skatepark and saw someone do tricks on a scooter, WOW! I gave it a go and was hooked, although it must have taken me 15 minutes to do my first drop in, petrified at the 3ft quarter, I rode scooters for about 6 years until I was 19/20. I got my first full-time job and wasn’t riding as much, so when I could ride I wanted something exciting again so I started picking up my BMX more. Everything was band new again and exciting and scary and I felt more myself on it. I was hooked, again.
What languages do you speak? English
Your top three parks:
- Adrenaline Alley, Corby
- Asylum Skatepark, Mansfield
- Woodward East, PA
Top three songs to get you pumped
- My Ex’s Best Friend by MGK
- Stereo by MGK
- The Funeral by Yungblud
Three people who inspire you and why:
- Jamie Bestwick. He’s my coach and we’ve both grown on this journey together, but I model everything I do, looking toward him and his success. He holds me and the team accountable to a higher standard, on and off the bike. I wouldn’t be who I am without him and he just inspires me to be a better human and strive toward greatness.
- Michael Jordan. His hard work and dedication is inspiring, he had such a long, successful & dominant career and faced and overcame many challenges to be the best, I’d love to replicate that within women’s BMX. He was my phone wallpaper for the year of 2021.
- No one person, but all the GBR team we’ve put together this year, I’ve seen some amazing performances and you can’t help but get inspired by to do better when everyone around you is pushing to new levels.
What is a trend in BMX you want to stop seeing? Adding too many barspins to everything… no offence, it’s amazing and all the respect, but I love something totally different and creative.
How do you spend your days off your bike? Coffee walks around the woods with my friends and a film camera, probably after brunch.
Favourite person to ride with? Hard to choose for all the incredible people I ride with but, Jamie Bestwick. He has a funny way of getting you to do things and we’re usually non-stop laughing about something with everyone too! Something probably being me!
Favourite shoes to ride in? Adidas Busenitz V2 ALL DAY! So good.
Most inspirational quote: You must have greatness within you to recognise it in others.
Best advice given: Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.
Your biggest fear? Abandoned hospitals, like in the movies.
Your proudest accomplishment? Gold at Tokyo 2021, mainly because I reflect on the journey with the incredible people who helped and guided me to that point.
Three guilty pleasures:
- Pop punk music
- Deserts, basically Chocolate
Your worst habit? Being late to everything, I’m never on time. If you can call that a habit.
If you could hire someone to help you in some sort of aspect of your life, what would it be? To organise my schedule so I can be on time for once!
Your top three future goals you want to achieve:
- Multiple Olympic Champion
- To be a better teammate & leader
- To build assets off the bike for the future