Name: Leila Walker
Hometown: Cambridge, New Zealand
Sponsors: Stux gloves, Royalty BMX, CXP Racing (Cycle express Howich), Adastra Foundation, Perago Trust
What is your BMX origin story – How did you get into BMX? At 6 years old I went to watch my cousins (ages 5 and 7) race at the national champs in Rotorua. That inspired me to have a go and since then I fell in love with it and never looked back.
What languages do you speak? Just English 😊
Your top three tracks:
- Bogota, Columbia
- Te Awamutu, New Zealand
- Rockhill, United States
Top three songs to get you pumped
- You were right by RUFUS DU SOL
- All for you by Wilkinson
- Ni**as in Paris by Kanye
Three people who inspire you and why:
- Rebecca Petch- Always worked so hard in BMX for her goals and was such a positive benchmark for us younger girls growing up. Her work ethic and determination is so inspiring.
- Jonnie Peter (Outdoor ED Teacher) – Inspires me to be out of my comfort zone and have balance in my life outside of sports.
- Jaxson Russell – Tells me every gym session that I am useless and can lift more than I am. Which normally he is right.
How do you spend your days off your bike? Getting coffee with friends or family, going out, spending time with friends. Active recovery walks etc.
Favourite person to train with? Baylee Luttrell – Vibes are ALWAYS on
What race shoes do you wear? Shimano Sphyres
What race pants do you wear? Troylee/Leatt
Most inspirational quote: ‘You must get comfortable with the uncomfortable”
Best advice given: It doesn’t matter how much you can squat if you can’t jump the first.
Your biggest fear? Rotorua first jump off 8 metre
Your proudest accomplishment? Winning my first World Cup at 17 in the U23 Women in Bogota 2022
Three guilty pleasures:
- Online shopping
- A café brunch
- Staying in Peter Alexanders all Sunday 😉
Your worst habit? Spending money as if I’m rich
If you could hire someone to help you in some sort of aspect of your life, what would it be? A full-time driver hahah
Your top three future goals you want to achieve:
- Olympic Gold!
- Be influential on the younger generation of girls coming through BMX in New Zealand,
- Enjoy life on and off my bike, travel the world