Name: Aubrée Henson
Age: 9 years old
Hometown: The New Forest, England
Sponsors: Love to @cultcrew, Colin and Stu from @seventiesdistro and @fuseprotection for their support. 🙌💗
What is your BMX origin story – How did you get into BMX?
I started riding MTB with my dad when I was really little because that’s what he was into growing up, mainly just riding around the forest where we live, just spending time together. It was 3 years ago this Christmas that I got my first BMX, which was only meant to be a way for us to still have something to do together when the weather was bad as we could do it indoors. I fell in love with it and the rest is history!
What languages do you speak? I can only speak English fluently but we’re learning Spanish and French at school. I only know a few words though. HOLA!!! 👋
Your top three parks:
- Prevail Skatehouse in Poole. It’s our local indoor park and I like going to bike night there every Thursday evening. Me and my dad always go early and have something to eat on the way. It’s also the home of @entitybmxshop which is our local shop and the heart of the BMX community around here.
- Skatepark Junction 4. I competed there this year for @backyardjambmx and they have an amazing new street section. They’ve also opened their doors as a warm zone for the local community to help with the cost of living crisis, so I have a lot of love for them.
- I enjoyed RampWorld Cardiff when I competed there this year, it’s a really fun place to ride.
I mostly ride at smaller parks near where I live because they’re quicker to get to which gives me more time to ride.
Top three songs to get you pumped
- Katy Perry songs, especially Roar.
- Knocking On Heavens Door – Guns ’N Roses
- Yellow – Coldplay
Three people who inspire you and why:
All the boys and all the girls out there doing their own thing, in their own unique way, it’s all inspiring! If I had to name one person it would be Sosuke (sosuke_bmx23). As a kid, seeing another kid do such amazing things is truly inspiring.
How do you spend your days off your bike? I don’t really have days off, I just have chill days on my bike. If I can’t ride because I’m injured, then I’ll do some drawing, colouring, and making things.
Favourite person to ride with? I only see other BMX riders on Thursdays when I go to bike night, so I mainly ride by myself, but my dad’s always there with me.
Favourite shoes to ride in? My Cult x Vans – Never Fade BMX shoes are my favourite. They’re all black, so I wear them as my school shoes too.
Most inspirational quote: Little by little does the trick
Your biggest fear? Big noisy busy places. I really struggle with them.
Your proudest accomplishment?
I was really proud when I learnt to hard-180, I worked so hard for that for such a long time.
I’m proud of my manuals too they’re my new favourite thing to do. I can’t actually believe I can do them, they seemed impossible not long ago!
My proudest moment so far was winning the first-ever women’s street competition here in the UK at round 5 of Backyard Jam. Until then I’d been competing in the kids park category but using the street section to do my runs, so riding in an actual street category for the first time made it even better.
Also being in an adult category meant doing my runs at the end of the day, so I got to do it in front of all the pro-men. Was the best day!
Three guilty pleasures:
- Sneaking biscuits from the biscuit jar. My dog comes running when he hears the lid open so I share them with him too. 🤫
- Chewy sweets, especially sour ones!
- Sometimes not sharing the biscuits with my dog! 😆
Your worst habit? Opening my mouth as wide as I can to stretch my face.
If you could hire someone to help you in some sort of aspect of your life, what would it be? I would get help with some of my fears, especially big busy places.
Your top three future goals you want to achieve: I just want to do loads of mannies.