Name: Bethany Hedrick
Hometown: Ft. Mitchell, Ky
Sponsors: HeavyPedalz BMX
What is your BMX origin story – How did you get into BMX? Before BMX, my dad introduced me to scootering when I was around 7 or 8. However, my Dad rode BMX in his days (along with rollerblading). While he would take me to the skatepark, I would always try and follow the BMX riders and my Dad. And after a year or two, my Dad pulled the trigger and bought my first ever 18inch BMX (Chrome and teal Fit Bike). And from there on, I haven’t stopped.
What languages do you speak? Just English (but I do have 3yrs of high school Latin under my belt, never use it lol)
Your top three parks:
- Ollies Skatepark (RIP)
- Woodward East
- Rays MTB Bike Park
Top three songs to get you pumped
- “Kids” by MGMT
- “Crooked Smile” by J.Cole (Feat. TLC)
- “Soundtrack 2 My Life” by Kid Cudi
Three people who inspire you and why:
- Nina Buitrago – She was probably my first introduction to female BMX and she is always so enthusiastic and passionate about everything she does. She’s always so generous and comforting to me and everyone around her.
- My Mom (Melissa Hedrick) – She is probably the best mom ever. She is extremely hard working and intelligent. She inspires me to work hard and balance my life in a healthy way. She is also hilarious and always knows how to get someone to crack a smile.
- Brant Moore – He’s always so nice when we hang out and is always looking for times to ride. He has given me a lot of insight into how much I love the sport! It’s always a good time at Ray’s with him and the crew!!
What is a trend in BMX you want to stop seeing? I really don’t like how some people beat themselves up about their riding. Whether this is not looking like everybody else when it comes to their style and trick selection. Just have fun and be in the moment!!
How do you spend your days off your bike? I usually just relax and rest. If not, I usually try to do something physical like work out or run because I can’t sit in one place for 5 minutes. I also like driving with friends and listening to music.
Favourite person to ride with? I really just like riding with anyone. Whether these be childhood-long skatepark friends, people I meet from events and competitions, or just random locals at any skatepark.
Favourite shoes to ride in? Vans
Most inspirational quote: “One important key to success is self-confidence. An important key to self-confidence is preparation.” – Arthur Ashe
Best advice given: “If you ain’t dying you ain’t trying” – Zach Newman
Your biggest fear? Getting in my own head, or dolls (I hate dolls)
Your proudest accomplishment? I’m pretty stoked about being a senior in high school next year. I’m also getting pretty hyped on the future commitment I’m planning on taking with BMX and starting to prepare to compete at a higher level.
Three guilty pleasures:
- Solitaire (level 115/Dubious Dealer)
- Chips and Guac
- Watching TikToks (specifically the ones with frogs)
Your worst habit? Being way too hard on myself
If you could hire someone to help you in some sort of aspect of your life, what would it be Time management, I really need to start pacing myself.
Your top three future goals you want to achieve:
- Graduate High School
- Start competing at a more professional level (UCI, Nationals, Olympics?)
- HAVE FUN